1. Race the weekend before.
2. Walk in a parade the morning before the race.
3. Drive all over tar nation to rack your bike and attend a birthday party.
4. Eat lots of food you don't normally eat the night before the race.
5. Don't drink enough water the entire day before and then have a 32 oz soda.
6. Pack your bag at 10 pm the night before the race.
7. Go to bed at least 2 full hours later than you normally do.
8. Dream that you miss the race because you spontaneously decide to take your son to the Zoo at 6 am.
9. Forget to buy bananas for race morning.
10. Forget your bike shoes the morning of the race, drive 3 miles up the road, turn around and go back to the house for them.
11. Drink half-caff coffee race morning because you forgot to buy regular coffee when you were supposed to get the bananas.
12. Leave your ipod at home for your daughter to play with.
13. Don't do your pre-race warm-up run, instead stand in line for the port-a-jane line for 25 minutes.
14. Forget to leave all your jewelry at home and stress about losing it in the water.
15. Stand around for an hour and a half before the race in bare feet because you forgot flip-flops.
And then enjoy a beautiful, early morning swim in the lake, a scenic 26 mile bike ride, and a HILL-acious 10k run.
All in all it was a gorgeous day, the event was flawless, and I felt strong despite an average finish.