US

US

Friday, December 14, 2012

Grateful

Well:being tumblr
 
 
Pretty much anyone can understand why I would choose to support Best Buddies and perhaps why I would want to do so.
 
It's probably not so clear why the other five ladies on the Bridgies Brigade team might choose to support Best Buddies.
 
 
Take for example my beautiful neighbor, Sue Franklin.
 
 
Many in the community know Sue for her upbeat, optimistic, caring, and gentle spirit.
 
Sue is also good for an afternoon laugh at the bus stop on most days.
 
Sue is a social worker for Catholic Charities and lives with her husband Jeff and son Will down the hill from us.
 
The three make a great team of Halloween Costume makers and love all things Halloween.
 
Sue has gone out on a limb to share a piece of her heart and some of her past to explain why getting involved with Best Buddies was so important to her.
 
My words cannot express my gratitude to her and her family.
 
Here is her story:
 
 
When I first signed on to join Bridgie’s Brigade in the Best Buddies Challenge it was for a mostly selfish reason – I needed to get physically active again.  Even my embedded laziness couldn’t resist such a great cause.

Then as I began my time back on my bike my mind visualized two familiar faces to keep me pedaling.  My enchanting neighbor, Bridgie, and my wonderful cousin, Katie.  Bridgie and Katie are both spunky, redheaded, Irish gals with quick smiles and laughs.  They also both happen to have Down syndrome.  What better way to celebrate Katie’s 30th birthday and Bridgie’s upcoming start of pre-school?!


But as I rode in silence -and sometimes pain, I knew the fear, sadness, and regret that really fueled my desire to support Best Buddies.  In 1985, as a high school junior I began the most important volunteer work of my life.  I volunteered several hours each week for about 6 years at Forest Haven in Laurel.  I have read that Forest Haven, which began as Children’s Center for individuals with intellectual disabilities, was once a thriving, family-oriented place with excellent care.  The Forest Haven I came to know, however, had been condemned several years earlier.  The residents remained because the DC Government was having trouble finding any community-based programs for the residents, who had spent their whole lives in Forest Haven and were now in their 40’s or older.  Because it had been condemned, the buildings were falling down, there was moss and ivy growing up the interior walls of some of the buildings, the remaining staff were disheartened and checked-out.  Some staff were far worse than that – they were dangerous predators.  Even my youthful, rose-colored glasses were challenged by what I saw and heard. 


I volunteered with two amazing, heroic gentlemen who walked the thin line of advocacy and maintaining relationships with the staff so that we would be allowed back each week.  By this time we were some of the only outsiders still coming onto the campus.  I now understand the quiet, urgent, desperate attempts that these mentors of mine made on behalf of the residents.  In the summer of 1991, residents began to disappear.  We were told they had gone to area group homes but there was no way to verify this information and I had long since stopped trusting the management.  These residents who had lived together their whole lives were haphazardly split up – often with only hours notice before their departure.  My despair was only relieved by the thought that they may have gotten out of Forest Haven alive.


So, I will continue to ride for Best Buddies.  Not just because they were there to support my cousin through high school.  But because I’ve seen what can exist – can be justified – in the absence of appropriate community-based services.  Non-profit organizations are having a hard time in these economic times.  But we can never go back to times without these programs.  Find a non-profit you love and support it today.  I will do that in honor of Bridgie and Katie.  I will do that in memory of my Forest Haven Friends, Jerry, Bruce, Maddy, Bobby, Johnsie, Juanita, and all of the residents.  They deserved better.
 
Thank you so much Sue for sharing your amazing story and for finding the drive to do the right thing so many years later.
So if or when you wonder if you should get involved in organizations like Best Buddies or if you think your money is not going to make a difference, think about the alternative.
Think about the lives of Sue's Forest Haven Friends and what might have been for them.
Maybe Best Buddies is not the answer for everyone but think about the alternative. 
A world without Best Buddies.
One person *can* make a difference
Please leave Sue some comment love.  While not an active Blogger, I think she may have a calling.


5 comments:

  1. Compelling post - I would definitely read more of Sue's writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Sue, if I didn't love you already I'd sign on now. Thanks for reminding everyone that it isn't just a nice thing to support non-for-profits, it's a very important and necessary thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, thanks for sharing your story! It's notable that you started volunteering in high school and continued with the same organization for several years. My oldest is only 7, but this is a good reminder to (1) be involved myself and (2) help my kids engage the community through non-profits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to your friend Sue for sharing her story! And how sad to have an account of what that place devolved to and how their residents were treated :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic post. I love that Sue shared her story with all of us!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.