Different than Expected
This is the second post in a writing prompt series by Ellen Stumbo
http://www.ellenstumbo.com/writing-prompt/
When we got married we knew we wanted to have kids, not necessarily RIGHT away, but we certainly were not preventing it. We thought that it might take a while and that was okay. When we found out we were pregnant, less than three months after we were wed, we were excited.
We did not want to know if the baby was a girl or a boy and were happy talking about both boy and girl names. We did not have great expectations, we were content to be pregnant and enjoying the journey.
We agreed that we would decide whether or not I would go back to work when the baby was here. We both subconsciously knew that I would not got back to work, but hey we are pretty much never say never people.
I did not expect to become so SWOLLEN with my pregnancy. Having been an avid runner I thought I would continue to run throughout pregnancy. This did not materialize. Weight gain, edema, back pain coupled with the desire to eat whatever I wanted did not lend themselves to a fit pregnancy.
Many women complain of cankles late in pregnancy, I had tree trunks for legs by the middle of the 8th month. I was never diagnosed with pre-eclampsia but had I gone to term I probably would have been.
16 days before our due date I went into labor. Labored at home over night, went to the hospital got sent home, went back in the early morning, was admitted, got an epidural, was getting comfortable with my mom in the room, Jerry had just left to go get some coffee and breakfast...
Whoosh, POP POP! went the monitor. Simultaneously, the bed sheets were soaked. My water had broken and my mom and I were kind of laughing about it when the monitors started beeping. 4 or 5 nurses came into the room at once, turning me from side to side, not really talking to me but to each other. I could see the seriousness on their faces. One of the nurses asked my mom where the father was and my mom went to go get him. I began to understand the medical lingo and that they could not find my baby's heartbeat. The doctor came in for an internal exam and said they would need to take the baby via c-section.
We learned about c-sections in our birthing class and like most women I was hoping against that option.
Flashback....
As we readied ourselves for our second trip to the hospital that September night, I grabbed the bag in the hallway by the front door as another contraction gripped my insides and randomly said "We are going to have a c-section". There was not discussion or further explanation. Just a statement.
Back to the birth...
As we prepped for surgery, my mom said a prayer for our baby and we were whisked away to the OR. My whole body convulsed with shakes and my teeth were chattering, my arms were strapped to the table making my body into a cross. The anesthesiologist became our guide. Telling us what was taking place behind the white sheet. As the Ob tested my numbness, she warned me to stop trying to move my legs. Within 10 minutes our baby was free from the womb. It's a girl! Jerry took one look at her and said "She's Erin!" Wrapped in warm white blankets and stocking cap I saw her blueberry eyes for the first time. She was nothing I had expected. She was so much more.
As fast as they brought her too me they took her away. I still had some business to take care of, a few organs and tissues to be situated and put back in order. Jerry left to be with Erin so I was alone in that operating room with my new BFF, the anesthesiologist. I was no longer cold and could feel the weight of the blankets on my chest and the warmth of the morphine in my veins.
The birth of my first child.
Erin Kelly Bryl
6 1bs 6 oz, 19 inches, 12 noon, September 7, 2005.
I had an emergency C-section too. I like how you referred to the anesthesiologist as your "new BFF"...made me chuckle. :)
ReplyDeleteWell, he was the only one talking to me!!! Thanks for stopping by!
DeleteI love the picture of Grover hugging Erin! It's amazing how a previously unknown experience can suddenly shape and satisfy our hearts. (I'm stopping by from Ellen's blog.)
ReplyDeleteWe took a picture of her with Grover at age five, too. Wil have to dig that up! Thanks for stopping by.
DeleteAnd she is gorgeous :)
ReplyDeleteThanks and thanks for reading.
DeleteI agree, the picture of your son and Grover is precious! And I love birth stories :)Goodness, the way I received all 3 of my girls was quite different than expected!
ReplyDeleteAlso, did you get a new quote on your blog? I don't remember this, but I love it! "Life is simple. It's just not easy."
Not a new quote, but the name of the blog. I did not post it as such for the first prompt. Thanks for the prompt.
ReplyDeleteI had such a similar story with Parker. Wanted to do it all natural (crazy right?) ended up with every intervention in the book, including an emergency c-section. Even to this day, I don't really think about the how, just the beautiful end result. Miss you old friend.
ReplyDeleteWow I didn't realize so many women had emergency c-sections. Beth was an emergency c-sec as well. And because I had one, my other pregnancies were c-sections as well. I had to laugh at the anesthesiologist being your BFF, too funny! And true!!
ReplyDelete