Pottery Barn Growth Chart Ruler
Long ago I saw this in a Pottery Barn catalog and thought it was cute but way out of our league price wise. Then I started blogging and came across this site and a knock off pottery barn ruler and so I had to try it.
Deke lovingly got me the piece of wood (6 x 6 x 1) that I needed at no cost to me. So nice. I had originally planned to cover our old growth chart with the ruler but quickly realized it would stick out too far and look awkward.
Here is the old growth chart on the wall. Which is perfectly fun and adequate but with the way we hem and haw about moving I thought the ruler would be a great addition and something we could take with us, IF we ever move.
So, I stained the wood which took two coats and less than 30 minutes. Then I measured and marked from 6 inches to 6 1/2 feet using a pencil (and yes I had to erase a couple of times and it did not mar the stain). The ruler would be hung 6 inches from the floor.
To make the numbers I printed them out using a font I liked at 200. Cut them out and then taped them to the board and traced them with a pencil, REALLY HARD to get a good indentation.
Once all the pencil lines were to my liking, I used Sharpie Paint Pens that I got at A.C. Moore. They were 2 for $5 and I had a 50% off coupon.
I used the fine point to trace the numbers and the wider tip to fill in. Not too difficult with a steady hand.
I let the paint dry for 45 minutes and then sprayed the whole board with Patricia Nimocks Clear Acrylic Sealer. You must do this outside or you could use a polyurethane clear coat with a brush. I applied two relatively heavy coats. Again I bought this at A.C. Moore and I want to say it was $7 with a 40% off coupon. This was pricey but I feel I will use it again.
Once the clear coat was on I let the board sit in the mud room for a few days. Then my husband screwed it to a stud in the wall. One at the top and one at the bottom.
We measured Erin and Eoin right away! We tried Bridgie but she just buckled her legs! Then I transferred the old measurements to the board.
Finished Product

Really cool!I can't wait to see it!! Tara
ReplyDeleteSoooooo adorable! Nice work!
ReplyDeleteYour ruler looks great! Way to go! :)
ReplyDeleteThat is so cute. I love this idea and really, really hope to do it soon!
ReplyDeleteThat is adorable! And I like yours much better than the Pottery Barn one. Can I link to this and use one of your photos on my blog? kristen(at)CelebrateEveryDayWithMe(dot)com
ReplyDelete@ Kristen, sure. be sure to check out the blog I got the idea from....in the post. It was really super easy if you like this sort of thing.
ReplyDeleteWhat font did you use? I love it!
ReplyDeleteHello!
ReplyDeleteI made one like this, but mine warped :(
I want to make a new one. I am wondering if it was because I only stained one side and did not seal it?
Any tips?
Thank you! It looks great :)