I guess I can officially declare myself a Nutritarian.
So what is a Nutritarian? Read Dr. Fuhrman's definition
I don't generally like labels. But I have been talking about food and Eat to Live so much that it is often the easiest way to start the conversation.
So, I am often in search of great recipes with high nutritional value. One of the areas I am weakest is eating breakfast. I love oatmeal but literally cannot, will not, don't have the time or patience to
1. make it every morning
2. sit down and eat it
So, early on I found a recipe on my favorite food blog, Mennonite Girls Can Cook
It is called Baked Oatmeal with Apple and Cinnamon
I have been tweaking this recipe for some time and here is what I came up with today:
Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal
3 1/2 C of Oats
2 tsp baking powder
8 oz of 100% pure pumpkin in a can (half of a 16 oz can)
2 eggs
3 Tablespoons of Honey (trying to find the best natural sweetner for baking)
1 Cup of Vanilla Unsweetened Almond Milk (Blue Diamond brand makes this)
2 Tablespoons of Pumpkin Pie Spice ( you can just use cinnamon and nutmeg)
4 Tablespoons of ground Flax seed
Stir and spread in medium size casserole dish
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes
Yummy for breakfast or afternoon snack with coffee!
You know following Eat to Live is not easy and was in fact dreadful in the beginning, but it is so worth it.
What maybe makes it easier for me is watching Bridgie scarf up all the foods I prepare for her. It makes me so sad that I did not get to Erin and Eoin sooner. Erin already eats very healthy foods, adamant that she have the following in her lunch box every day:
1 peanut butter and jelly sandwich cut into a butterfly
4 carrots
1 celery stalk cut in half and into six pieces
red seedless grapes
and a juice box
I even keep a little baggie in there with a note and some Hershey kisses, but she never eats them.
Eoin is my challenge and I love him so, so I love the challenge. He literally only eats "cakes with syrups", frozen pancakes, sometimes three times a day. Jerry jests that if it were not for candy corn Eoin would not eat any vegetables. Funny, but not because it is true. He will eat an occasional apple and as far as fresh foods that's it. We're working and we will keep working. If I add mini mnm's or mini chocolate chips to muffins sometimes he will eat them. For this recipe I may drizzle some melted chocolate on top and he might try it.
Bridgie is a good eater. Eating whatever we put in front of her. In the early days of her life I came across information on the Metabolism of people with Down Syndrome. Basically, people with Down Syndrome are prone to Thyroid problems. And as of Bridgie's 18 month check up her Thyroid test came back high. No action is required at this time and she will be retested in 6 months. Thyroids can be controlled to an adequate extent, metabolism not so much. Therefore, the desire to extend Bridgie's palate is what jump started me to make changes and what keeps me motivated. Not to mention the girl loves her beans and greens!!!! Read on for more information about metabolism.
The Effects of Metabolism
Research suggests that children with Down syndrome have a lower basal metabolic rate (BMR) than their same-aged peers. BMR is the rate a person burns calories for fuel when completely at rest -- or sleeping. As a result, a child with Down syndrome uses fewer calories while they are asleep and also throughout the day. In addition, adults with Down syndrome (ages 18-20) have finished growing and require fewer calories than they did as a child. If eating or exercise habits do not change to compensate for this decrease in energy requirements, the energy equation quickly becomes unequal with calories in outweighing calories out.
Naturally, Bridgie will make her own decisions and choices regarding food and exercise but if I can continue to expose her to healthy eating while she is under my thumb I will. Consequently, Bridgie does not really enjoy sweets. She also has a bit of a dairy intolerance so we have replaced cow's milk for almond milk. Even Goldfish (cheddar) seem to bother her.
I hope you will continue your own journey and Eat to Live.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.