US

US

Monday, July 29, 2013

Random Thoughts by Bridgie's Mommy

It's been awhile since I last blogged.


There are many reasons for this.  Some remarks here and there, moving, stress, questioning, and of course there is always depression to blame. But there is no need to point any fingers, ultimately I needed a break and honestly only two people asked me why I stopped blogging so no biggie.
 
In the beginning, I wanted to rethink the purpose of the blog and the why behind it.  And I think I am close to closure on those two fronts.
 
I blog for these three people.
 
 
When Bridgie was born I did not cry over spilled milk so to speak, I cried over Erin and Eoin's future.  I cried for the added joy and pains to their lives.

 
Early on, you know that first second I looked in her eyes, I knew Bridgie was going to take us for a ride.
 
 
And before I continue I want to make one thing abundantly clear. 
 
This child is not a burden.  She never has been and she never will be.

 
NOT A BURDEN
 
 
And in the same breath I will tell you that they can be hard.  Any honest parent can admit that parenting is hard.
 
For the better part of three years I have searched for words to describe parenting a child with Down syndrome.  And there is part of the focus of this blog.
 
Parenting a child with Down syndrome or better yet Parenting Bridgie
 
 
Every parent struggles, every child is different from the next, therefore, parenting a child and the siblings of said child is different.
Not different in a bad or better way just a different way.
 
Different, different, different.
 
 
Blah, blah, blah.
 
So why would I want to talk about parenting a child with Down syndrome and who would really care?
 
Part of this journey for our family will most likely include a time where Jerry and I are not here to care for and parent Bridgie (or E and E for that matter).  So a time will come where the primary care giver for Bridgie with be Erin, Eoin, or Both.  If we never talk about Bridgie's differences then they are going to have questions and a lot of them.
 
I have never been a happy go lucky person (insert your own theory diagnosis here) rather choosing to be realistic instead.  I don't sugar coat things or put on a happy face.  At the same time I try really hard not to be a bottom feeder living off the mire and the muck either.
 
So, there will be no pretending here.  There will be hard and happy.
 
I recently read a book called Carry On, Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton.  In her story she talks about life being brutiful.  Brutal and Beautiful.....Brutiful.
 
I love this.  She says in this Brutiful life "We can do hard things".
 
For the Bryl family 5 life is Brutiful and we can do hard things.
 
Many people say Happiness is a choice.  I have to call BULLSHIT actually double BULL SHIT on that one. 
 
I have chosen happiness many times, but for me it is fleeting.  (insert you own theory/diagnosis here). 
 
I have found only one thing to be truly helpful in this arena and that is exercise.  The power of endorphins for me is tremendous.
 
Off tangent back on course.....Erin and Eoin will have questions and I want them to come here to find some answers.  I want them to know that mommy and daddy struggled, a lot.  Mommy and Daddy worked hard to make life brutiful for their family.  To find that it is okay to be unhappy and to recognize it but to feel the joy of happiness when it arrives.  To know that if something makes you unhappy to steer clear of it or if it is truly important in their lives to find strategies and ways to break down barriers, to compromise, to carry on.
 
Lastly (for this post),  GDo (as she calls herself) says 'do the next right thing'  forget the rest and move forward.
 
So the next right thing for this blog is to keep moving forward (swim bike mom's motto).  To keep talking, sharing, and striving for this brutiful life.
 
 
 
 

 
 

 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. A very honest post. Thanks for sharing. It helps to know we're not alone in this Brutiful life.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.