The Lord Has Risen.
Thy word is a Lamp unto my Feet, and a Light unto my Path.
Psalm 119:105
As I pounded the pavement of the 10k route around Crofton yesterday, I was bombarded with the signs of spring, Easter, and renewal. We did not attend church yesterday as we have not for the entire Lenten season. In fact we have not attended regularly, as a family, since Bridgie was about 9 months old. I have no excuses for this and each Sunday morning drives the point home.
I have been running the streets of Crofton since I was 14 years old, 22+ years. I run alone or so it may seem to the many neighbors and family members in Crofton. What you don't see is the good Lord sitting on my shoulder, proselytizing, counseling, motivating, and healing me. Running is part of my worship, and for many years a daily dose of Prozac.
Through the child bearing years, the daily runs have dwindled to 3 maybe 4 a week, and the mg of real Prozac have jumped from 20 to 80. This year has been amazing and uplifting, but rearing and raising three little ones has taken its toll on my body. Tremendous weight gain, hormone fluctuations, vein insufficiency, high blood pressure, and gall bladder attacks. This year has been a battle for my body and mind.
About 9 months ago, I decided to wage war on my health. I had venous closure of the saphenous vein in both upper legs in June and had my gallbladder removed in July. Around this same time, Anne Arundel County Parks and Rec announced a Sprint Triathlon at Ft. Smallwood park to benefit people in the county with special needs. In fact, all proceeds go to help pay the registration fees for the special sports programs.
As a senior in high school one of my "ambitions", printed in the 1992 Arundel year book, was to "successfully complete a triathlon by the time I turn 40". So the "Rec Deeds for Special Needs Tri" was a no brainer. As if the good Lord was bonking me on the head saying "hello, you are 36, 40 is 4 years away". So, I did my first tri. Mission Accomplished!! Uh, no.
You see the ambition arose while I watched the television coverage of the 1992 Hawaii Ironman World Championships. I cried my eyes out in my little brothers room, (why he had a tv in his room I do not know), watching all the back stories of the competitors. The Ambition is an Ironman.
2.4 mi. swim • 112 mi. bike • 26.2 mi. run
I completed the Rec Deeds Tri and overcame my fear of murky water and that Ambition began to sit on my other shoulder during my runs. So it is with the Lord. God has plans for me.
Ambition and Religion, proselytizing, counseling, motivating, and healing me. Together.
Nine months ago, I embarked on a vigorous plan to get healthy. To take my body back, because I am going to need it. I had to figure out what my body can and cannot handle since the gallbladder is gone, how to get rid of unwanted pounds, and get fit. I did this on my own for about 6 months and was mildly successful. Despite the vigorous workouts and "eating right", the scale would not budge. From February until now I have been using a product called Advocare (advocare.com), to help me control hunger, energy levels, and overall health.
In January, I scheduled a physical for March.
I have seen this primary care Dr. for about 6 years. The wait is so long, she is somewhat scatterbrained and slow, but once you get her in the room she is so present and thorough. March 23 came and my doctor spent 90 minutes with me without leaving the room. We went through my whole history and then we talked about overall health, losing weight, and losing the Prozac. We went through what I was eating and not eating, exercise schedule, and overall stress triggers. It is here that she introduced me to a book that has helped me TREMENDOUSLY. "Eat to Live" by Dr. Mark Fuhrman. Absolutely amazing.
Now I am eating my beans and greens, training like mad, and off the Prozac. For the record, I have no problem with medication for depression or anxiety, and will probably have to revisit using it again in my lifetime, but for now I want by body to be clean.
And here lies the purpose of this long winded chronology. I want to be clean, I want my family to be clean, I want to simplify my home and it's contents, so that we may focus on each other and the Good Lord. And as any child, husband, or partner knows....If momma ain't happy and healthy, ain't nobody gonna be happy and healthy.
The Lord has Risen Indeed.
The journey continues in a quest for a simple balance. I have taken my body back and now must give parts of it back to my family and the Lord. I have a busy triathlon schedule this summer and am planning to conquer an Ironman in 2014, the year I turn 40. Who is with me?
God has plans for me and my family and they swell way beyond any personal passions or ambitions. What are God's plans for you? chirp, chirp, chirp... ;0)
wow. you just blew me way. I have been having the same problems regarding wanting to be 'clean', simplifying my life, getting healthier, losing weight, etc. Being in early menopause has not been easy on my body and no matter what I do, the scale doesn't move. I need to get a copy of that book. We need to spend more time together...
ReplyDelete