"Salad is the Main Dish"
Dr. Joel Fuhrman
Most of you know that I have been following the diet advice of Dr. Joel Fuhrman in his book "Eat to Live". Eat to live calls for you to eat foods that are nutrient dense and advises that the stomach in particular desires nutrients and volume to provide fullness. Eat to live is not a "diet" in my opinion. It is an education on food and the blarney we are fed by the US government on healthy eating. Dr. Fuhrman is an advocate for health and longevity, not a politician or a get rich quick gimmick salesman. I am a huge fan and would recommend reading Eat to Live even if you don't need to lose weight.
So, Dr. Fuhrman is a Vegetarian and so are all of his recipes. However, he does not say one must never eat meat. He just chooses not to and recommends that less than 10% of your diet come from animal product. Once you read his book you may just find out that you do not really even like meat. Like I did. So, as I chose to follow this idea of nutrient density, Jerry became a virtual vegetarian. Not against his will but he chose not to bite the had that fed him. Subsequently, Jerry lost 10 pounds. Does Jerry look like he needs to lose 10 pounds? NO. Is he hungry all the time? NO, well yes but he was hungry all the time before. Does he enjoy the foods I have been preparing? YES.
So, as a consolation prize I made Jerry this Beer Can Chicken and Baked Potatoes dish I found in Parenting magazine. A recipe from Jamie Oliver for those of you who know who he is? The Verdict:
"It was okay. The Skin was awesome but it was just chicken".
"It was okay. The Skin was awesome but it was just chicken".
I am telling you, once you start eating foods that your body needs to function properly, i.e. real whole fresh beans and greens, meat will just be well "okay".
I am not here to convert you or tell you to stop eating meat, I just wanted to share our experience.
"Since the foods Americans consume are so calorie-rich, we have all been trying to diet by eating smaller portions of low-nutrient foods. We not only have to suffer hunger but also wind up with perverted cravings because we are nutrient-deficient to boot."
— Joel Fuhrman
— Joel Fuhrman
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.