US

US

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Rude?

 
I did something yesterday that is sort of unlike me.
 
During the Cantata rehearsal a young family came in to the church, their young daughter dressed to the nines and rather adorable.  Maybe two.
 
They explored the center aisle with screeches and giggles.
 
They explored the Narthex with more screeches and giggles.
 
Then they were joined by a friend and her child and headed up to the loft of the church.
 
Cute screeches and giggles turned into chase and stomping and peek-a-boo and fits of screaming giggles.
 
 
Next, there was the sound of rapid fire photography from above to the sound of screaming giggles and stomping.
 
 
Perhaps this family had come to church to take their family photo in front of the beautiful tree only to realize their were around 50 musicians and singers blocking the way.
 
50 musicians, who were having their final rehearsal before their big show. 
 
The Christmas Cantata.
 
50 musicians running their musical marathon if you will.
 
 
Weeks and weeks of practice and anticipation culminating later that evening.
 
50 musicians that I have come to adore and respect in the mere hour I had been blessed to be in their presence.
 
The lifelong musical training of these folks evident in their music speak which baffled me, a non-musician.
 
50 musicians trying to focus and flinching at the sounds of two screeching children.
 
 
Finally, I, the non-musician, mother only to one of the children singing, had enough.
 
I walked up to the loft and said
 
"Hi, do you think we could keep it quieter up here?  The screeching is really distracting downstairs"
 
"Oh, yeah, sure"
 
Here's the part that bothers me the most.
 
I don't think I said 'thanks'.
 
My heart was pounding out of my chest as it is on a lesser level as I type this.
 
I think it took a full 5 minutes for me to quiet my breathing back in my pew.
 
You see, I have a problem with what I did because I know what it feels like to get glares, and stern looks from people in a church because of my unruly children.
 
I believe children belong in church and we have had a hard time finding our way as a family in church.
 
It is hard to say the last time all five of us attended together regularly.
 
Well, not hard to say, it does not happen.
 
We go in shifts, take turns attending mass or services.
 
When we do attend together, the majority of the time is spent keeping the children quiet with stickers or coloring or most likely out in the narthex or in the cry room with one or more unruly children.
 
You see, to me, it is about respect.
 
Respect for the pastor, the priest, the rest of the congregation, and most certainly the musicians.
 
Respect for their efforts and dedication.
 
Children do belong in church.
 
However, children must be trained how to behave in such a setting.
 
How your family gets there is not my business and I most certainly don't have the answer.
 
I am surprised by my actions yesterday and feel like a traitor to all moms who just want a place to take their children where they feel welcome.
 
 
I admit that I felt angry at the disrespect shown towards the Cantata members.
 
Screeching children at a choir rehearsal would be equivalent to someone smoking on the roadside of an Ironman event. 
 
Thoughtless.
 
 
I don't condemn the family for their actions and am not 100% convinced I did the right thing.
 
They could rightly be calling me rude.
 
 
Pinned Image

5 comments:

  1. I don't think you were rude. You were just point out the distraction and asking them to be more aware of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I don't think you were rude at all. I think rude and inconsiderate are parents who let their children run wild in places like that! Good on you for speaking up, I think you did it in a respectful way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's the part i am unsure of....i was amped up and not sure if i had tone or tact in my delivery.

      Delete
  3. Give yourself a break. It was ok. If they didn't think about the fact that they were being too loud and distracting to the arists, they didn't give a thought to you being possibly rude. They were just in their own world obviously. I am positive the artists THank You though.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.