Welcome to the Jungle
I took Eoin to the ENT yesterday for one last opinion, trying to make sure this had nothing to do with sinuses, allergies, or post nasal drip.
I was assured by the ENT that all of his airways are clear, his tonsils are not enlarged, and that more than likely we are experiencing a tic disorder.
I feel relieved that there is not a 'medical' issue here but at the same time am anxious about how this will play out with Kindergarten.
What gives me hope is that he never did the gasp during preschool. So, I am hopeful of the same for Kindergarten.
I have an appointment to meet with the guidance counselor at school next week to make her aware of the situation.
At this point I do not believe I will go into it with the teacher. It has never been a problem in school and until it is I do not feel it necessary to share. I don't want him treated differently because of something that may or may not happen.
I feel that alerting the counselor, will be beneficial in case he does do it and is sent to the health room because they think he can't breathe.
As for me and my family, we shall no longer talk about the tic in front of Eoin.
All research and literature I have read indicates that ignoring it is most beneficial. If you want to talk with us about this please do so when Eoin is not in ear shot.
He does not seem bothered by it, in fact requested going to see Mr. Hockey playing ENT EVERYDAY, so he could play with the mask with the light on it.
We will continue to learn more and help him if and when it is necessary.
I am hypersensitive to the sound, so if you see me gritting my teeth that may be why.
We love you no matter what, Eoin! There is nothing you could do to change that.
(and BTW, you missed your calling, Amish Farm Boy)
I read your last post as well and do you mind if I ask, what do you mean by a tic? Is this something he does subconsciously? And what is 'the gasp'?
ReplyDeleteHi Cindy, a tic is a spontaneous action or noise that a person often does not even know they are doing. Their are motor and vocal tics. Think jerking movements of hands or head, eye twitches, throat clearing, clicking of the mouth. His is a gasp, like he can't get air. It is sometimes the gasp followed by a throat clearing. You can image this happening all waking hours and going away during sleep. It is exasperated during exciting or stressful times. He is aware that he does it as we have talked about it with him. Sometimes telling him/asking him to breathe through his nose helps. would be quite disruptive in a classroom...so keep your fingers crossed. It does go away when he is engrossed in outdoor play or game play on the ipod.
DeleteLOL...Amish Farm boy. Cute picture :)
ReplyDeleteJenny, he probably should have been born to you. he would love where you live!!! you would laugh at our back yard. We let him plant beans and squash, however he was uninterested in planting in rows or one spot. Therefore we have random bean plants throughout the yard that my husband does not have the heart to mow over yet!
Delete