US

US

Monday, July 9, 2012

Underestimated.

Never Again.


Will I Underestimate.


The Power of Asking for Help.


Or Their Ability to Help,


To Learn,


To Get it Right,


And to Get it Done.


The Power of Accomplishment.


I tend to be 'somewhat' of a control and neat freak so the idea of them 'helping' me is overwhelming.  Lately, I have been so overwhelmed, exasperated, and down right grouchy about keeping up with the house that Erin said.  'Why can't we help you?'

Now there's a novel idea.  So my wheels started spinning and my mind kept rejecting saying 'no, you can do it yourself'.  But the mother's heart won over the control freaks brain and said 'what are you teaching them if you do it all?'  They want to help and they want a less stressed Mommy.

So, I let them clean the sliding glass doors, kitchen door, and front door.  And just look at them.  Erin was even signing 'I've been working on the railroad' while wiping, and Eoin added his own chore of killing the ants and spider by the slider.

Win, win.

So now if you come to my house and the glass on the doors is not shining you know who is slacking!

3 comments:

  1. Take advantage while they are still asking for help instead of thinking that it's a punishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am! Already the novelty has worn off, shoulders have slumped, and but's have begun.

      Delete
  2. Woo hoo! It's great when kids help. I'm a bit of a control freak, too, so it takes a conscious effort for me to get the kids to help. The other day I asked them to clean the floor of their bedroom and they did a great job! You're right...it's a great sense of accomplishment for them and a less stressed mom, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.