US

US

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Witness Wednesday


Growing Home

I'll fly away, Oh Glory 
I'll fly away; (in the morning) 
When I die, Hallelujah, by and by, 
I'll fly away (I'll fly away). 




Up until this week, this Alison Krauss-Gillian Welch cover of the hymn I'll fly away has been my favorite.

This week Erin has been attending VBS at CUMC with her Pastor Grandmother GiGi.  Growing up at CUMC, the music was always the best ministry to me.  Jerry and I were married at CUMC and had Stained Glass Bluegrass (one of a few praise bands there)  play during the ceremony.

So, on Monday when I walked into the narthex of the church with Bridgie and Eoin to pick up Erin, I immediately became breathless by the sound of children singing.  I got us situated so we could see Erin while the music director cued up the next song-- the hymn I'll fly away.

Oh, dear Lord, I was a mess by the first chorus.  So beautiful hearing all those little loves belting out the tune, on the first day of VBS no less.  Why does the sound of little voices singing about God's glory topple my heart? 

Because my adult heart and definitely my adult brain is full of so much noise that does not belong there.  Overwhelmed by responsibility, guilt, and fear of failure placed on us by society our hearts begin to harden with the overflow from our brain.

One verse of I'll fly away was enough to wash out all that extraneous gunk from my brain.  

God's greatest gift of love is alive and well.

Erin was so excited about her first day and ravenous for her CD.  We immediately put it in the CD player in the car and drove around until we had heard all of the songs.  When the disc player automatically switched to the next CD in the changer, I heard a resounding "NOOOOO, MORE USIC"  from the back seat.

Not from Erin, from Eoin.

So we drove around for another cycle of the disc.

Recently, I posed a question on a Christian FB page looking for materials to help children learn scripture.

Well, I found the answer for our family.

MUSIC.





Linked up with Sunny Patch Cottage for this post.
http://sunnypatchcottage.wordpress.com/2012/07/18/witness-wednesday/

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the musical lift this morning.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.