For those of you who read this blog regularly, you know that I just completed my dream of finishing an Ultra distance triathlon (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run)
(you can read about that here http://brylfamily5.blogspot.com/2012/10/dear-tri-columbia.html)
Down syndrome's entrance into my life is responsible for my change of heart and my desire to overcome fear in many areas of my life.
Meet Bridgie, there is nothing scary or to fear here.
When Bridgie was born there was a firestorm of Google searches going on at our house.
I needed to find as much information as possible to answer the questions of my heart.
One of the first things I came across was this
Reece's Rainbow is a Down syndrome adoption agency believing that every family deserves the blessing of a child with Down syndrome.
In many Eastern European countries babies born with disabilities are considered undesirable. Mother's are told that their children will not be able to feed, sit up, walk or talk. Therefore, they are placed in the care of the state. By and large institutions care for the basic needs of the children until they can be placed in adult mental institutions. Some baby houses neglect, abuse, and slowly kill the children placed in their care.
I immediately donated to this organization and have continued to follow their postings and have learned of the many stories of outreach and joy .
In October 2010, 9 months after Bridgie was born a woman named Susanna found out that her 10th child was likely to be born with Down syndrome. From her home she began the same firestorm of Google searches to learn what she could.
What she found made her sick to her stomach. What she found changed the course of her life forever. What she found she shared and changed the course of my life forever too.
October 2010 was the beginning of my journey out of fear. Bridgie was 9 months old and I had just finished my first open water swim. You know the rest of the journey from first triathlon to finishing the Ultra just last weekend.
What you don't know is how Susanna's story fueled me. How my prayers for little Veronika, now Katie and those like her housed in horrible institutions in Eastern Europe drove my desire to push on. It overwhelmed me at first and I wanted to jump right in and start the adoption process to eradicate this wrong.
As I continued to swim, bike, and run, God continued to whisper to me and I began to listen hard.
I continued to pray, often looking through the pages of Reece's Rainbow before a work out and finding one perfect child to pray for. And using my time in the pool or on the road to pray.
Did you know you can weep in the pool and keep on swimming? Did you know you can weep on a bike and still navigate the road? Did you know you can weep while running and still keep pace?
Did you know the endorphin release of prayer is greater than that of exercise?
If you will, I would like you to read Katie's story. The story of an amazing family who listened to God, heard the screams of the fatherless, and set out to change that through love.
Meet Katie at NINE years old in her baby house.
NINE
Katie's diagnosis is Down syndrome
Katie with her 1 1/2 year old sister Verity once home to her forever family.
Katie now, less than a year home.
Please read Susanna's own words about Katie's adoption in the link below.
God is at work in all of our hearts. Sometimes it is hard to listen when we get caught up in our lives and the world. Sometimes it takes 13 hours of silence to HEAR the words.
Do you take the time to listen? Really listen.
My physical journey to Ironman is over. Let's pray that my spiritual journey is just as strong.
For more information about the fatherless please check out these links:
Susanna and her family have been so blessed by the addition of Katie to their family that they are currently trying to adopt Tommy.
I pray that God will use me in the capacity He so desires. I am listening.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.