US

US

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Eric Ludy - Depraved Indifference




I have watched this everyday since I found it on Ellen Stumbo's blog.
 
 
 
Ellen Stumbo has three little girls.   Her second born brought the gift of Down syndrome, yes I said gift.  This little gift opened Ellen's heart and eyes to the reality of life of children with special needs in Eastern Europe.  Ellen and her husband saw this video and were so moved they acted.
 
They adopted Nina, their now middle daughter, with cerebral palsy from the Ukraine.
 
This motivates me, this drives me.
 
To see the good in humanity when there is so much darkness.
 
We have all been afflicted with depraved indifference at times in our life.
 
We must continually push ourselves to move past it and answer the call.
 
What that means for each person is different.
 
 
But, Christian or not Christian if we seek to live a purposeful life we must stand up for the least of these, the fatherless.
 
The timing of this video could not be greater for me.
 
 
The recent blasphemy by A.C. and the use of the word 'retard' over and over has brought anger to my heart.
 
Anger, fear, disappointment, and sadness.
 
But more than that it has brought reality.
 
Reality that we all suffer depraved indifference at times in our lives.
 
Reality that most of us have belittled others with our words. Whether it is 'retard' or some other derogatory word.
 
Continually, the argument is made about freedom of speech, that it is just a word, it is not directed at people with disabilities or God forbid "those who would be affected by it are too retarded to understand anyway".
 
This type of behavior is not shocking by she who shall not be named.  What IS shocking is the number of people who felt the need and the desire to re-tweet her words. Who did not stand up and say "Whoa wait a minute".
 
People will use the word and we cannot banish words from language for word usage is a choice.
 
What I suggest is that we stop NAME CALLING all together.  Why do we speak this way?  Is it respectful?  Does it have merit?  Is it even funny?  To me it is not.
 
You know
 
I am so retarded.
 
What a douchebag.
 
He's such an Ass hat.
 
You idiot.
 
And worse.
 
We all do it. We all say it.  Why the negative self-talk?  Why the disrespect?
 
Oh, right IT'S FUNNY and I DID NOT MEAN IT THAT WAY.
 
Right.
 
Now don't get me wrong.  My own husband has called me out for being a name caller pre and post Bridgie.
 
 
But I have learned and continue to learn through the GIFT I have been given.
 
As for me and my house we will try our best to push past the depraved indifference in our hearts, we will try to use respectful speech, and we will respectfully stand up to those who don't.
We will try to defend those who cannot defend themselves.
We will try to provide for those who cannot provide for themselves.
 
We have been given a tremendous gift that continues to astound and we will not waste it.
 
I am so thankful for all of our family and friends who have never batted an eye on our journey.  Our friends and family who are grateful for Bridgie in their own children's lives.
 
We are blessed beyond our wildest dreams.
 
 


1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.